Gymnema Sylvestre Extract
Gymnema Sylvestre extract is made from the leaf and plant of the Gymnema Sylvestre native to india. This plant is used in India for over 2000 year for the treatment of madu meha (Sugar). It has a broad range of therapeutic properties. It has wide applications and may be used in different fields including herbal teas, drinks and supplements etc.
Botanical name: Gymnema sylvestre
Cas No.: 90045-47-9
Other Common Names: Gurmarbooti, gurmar, gurmari, gudma, periploca of the woods, meshasring and mesbasringi
Parts used: Leaves and roots
Habitats: Gymnema sylvestre is found in the tropical forests of India and Southeast Asia. It thrives in tropical temperatures with plentiful moisture.
Gymnema is a gregarious woody climber, much branched, running over the tops of tall trees. Young stems and branches are pubescent. Leaves are 3–5 cm long and upto 3 cm broad, ovate-elliptic, acute or shortly acuminate, pubescent on both sides; base rounded or heart shaped with 6–13 mm long pubescent petioles. Flowers occur in umbellate cyme inflorescences. Flowering occurs in October–January, while fruits mature from March to May.
Gymnema sylvestre leaves contain 7-10% of gymnemic acid as active consitituents, it is a class of triterpenoid saponins. Besides this plant constituents include stigmasterol, quercitol, and the amino acid derivatives betaine, choline and trimethylamine.
Mode of Action
- The Gymnema molecule’s affinity with sugar molecular acceptor is 20 times more than dextrose. The acceptor that can absorb sugar in the small intestine cannot absorb sugar when occupied by Gymnema. As the result, the blood sugar consistency plays down.
- As same reason, Gymnema can act on the taste buds in the tongue. The tongue feels no sweet taste when chewing Gymnema and candy at the same time.
- The blood sugar is controlled by insulin and the insulin is produced by β -cells in the pancreas. Usually, in the adult diabetic, if the β -cell has been damaged, Gymnema can help the β -cell regenerate and thus lessen the diabetic symptoms.
- Obesity can also be the cause of diabetes because fats release resistin hormone which produces resistance against insulin in receptors and receptors cannot bind with insulin that can result in increase in blood sugar levels. Gymnemic acid curbs the binding of triglycerides and cholesterol to their receptors in the intestine and inhibits their absorption to treat obesity.
Medicinal Features of Gymnema Sylvestre Extract
- Balances Kapha; Maintains healthy blood glucose levels already within the normal range
- Antidiabetic; Promotes the healthy production of insulin and the body's natural metabolic process
- Weight management; Regulates the appetite and cravings for sweet food
- Diuretic; increase urine production
- Cough and Dysponea
- Snake bites